Wednesday, July 20, 2005

B2B or brain-to-brain connections

The above picture appears on Tom Peters' website (www.tompeters.com). I believe that is the future of socioprofessional networking software like LinkedIn, Ryze, etc.

That is, people will connect in order to tap into one another's cognitive resources. This is not a new idea, by the way.

Former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson said: "I use all the brains I have and all I can borrow."

Like all great leaders, he knew how to tap into the brainpower of collaborators and associates.

Right now, tapping into the brainpower of your LinkedIn connections is not possible, unless you sit down one-on-one and talk to them.

Even then, you might not know what it is that they know, so you wouldn't even ask them questions about it.

For example, if you don't know that I've read and have assimilated all the ideas that Dr. Edward de Bono wrote since 1970, then you normally would NOT ask me anything about creativity. Even my friends and family have never asked me anything about creativity techniques, even though I've been mastering a couple of them over the last 10 years.

Bottom line: LinkedIn currently enables people to make their social connections KNOWN to their first-degree connections.

I predict there will be software soon to enable people to make their valuable knowledge KNOWN to their first-degree (or even second-degree) connections.