Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Good news and bad news

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that with LinkedIn, you can check up on your competitors and see what they're plotting.

The bad news is, what you see on LinkedIn is just the tip of the iceberg.

You don't see people's secret tactics and devious machinations.

Example: there are guys on LinkedIn who have over 10,000 connections! What I'd like to know is, how the hell can you know so many people AND remember their names?!

I'm being facetious but I guess these people, although they appear to be happily promiscuous, probably know what they're doing. But we will never know what they're doing to be so connected. Perhaps they send a token gift to every person they meet.

Every networker or business person has a set of secret weapons that they use to secure people's goodwill and to distinctively promote themselves. (Yes, yes, I have my secret weapons too, but I'll only whisper it to you if you look really good in a mini-skirt. Sorry, it's my official policy since the age of 7).

At least, I'll give you a hint: read ANY book by Harvey Mackay (especially Dig Your Well Before You're Thirsty).